18 Thoughts on Simplicity to Live By in 2018
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -Leonardo Da Vinci
As the newness of the new year starts to fade, I'm making a pact with myself to live simply. Life is short and I don't want to waste time. I don't want to spend my life stressing on things that don't matter or things that will fade away with time. No. I want to spend my life building better relationships, creating better habits and storing up better memories. I want to be more present than I've ever been and I want to see things I've never seen before. So instead of writing down a boatload of new years resolutions, I've compiled 18 of my favorite quotes on simplicity and have decided to apply them to various aspects of my life.
1. Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. - Edsger Dijkstra
More than anything, my goal for 2018 is to be present. Fully aware of the here and now.
2. If you can't explain it to a six-year-old, you don't understand it yourself. -Albert Einstein
Keep it short and sweet. Communicate as clearly as possible.
3. Simplicity is an exact medium between too little and too much. Sir Joshua Reynolds
Less consumerism & more balance.
4. Simplicity is a state of mind. - Charles Wagner
More meditation and even more mindful living.
5. The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. - William James
Refuse to sweat the small stuff. Life is too short to obsess over things of little importance.
6. Voluntary simplicity means going fewer places in one day rather than more, seeing less so I can see more, doing less so I can do more, acquiring less so I can have more. - Jon Kabat Zinn
Putting attention and energy where it matters. Living intentionally and on purpose.
7. Out of clutter, find simplicity; from discord find harmony; in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein
Remember that perspective is everything. I can change my immediate world, simply by changing my mind and perspective. I've got the power.
8. Great acts are made up of small deeds. -Lao Tzu
Live small. The bigger picture is so much better when its made up of thoughtful details and quality deeds.
9. Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. - William Morris
Declutter. Declutter. Declutter. And then buy lightly. With intention and purpose.
10. Our souls are not hungry for fame, comfort, wealth or power. Our souls are hungry for meaning, for the sense that we have figured out how to live so that our lives matter. - Harold Kushner
Simplicity is about so much more than having less. It's about finding out and living out the purpose for our lives.
11. Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours. – Swedish proverb
Do what matters. Every. Single. Day.
12. Fill your life with lots of experiences, not lots of things. Have incredible stories to tell, not incredible clutter in your closets. - MarcAndAngel
Experiences > Things. Enough said.
13. Smile, breathe and go slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Everything gets better when we, stop breathe and slow down.
14. Real happiness is cheap enough, yet how dearly we pay for its counterfeit. -Hosea Ballou.
Just take a moment and sit in this truth.
15. Maybe the life you’ve always wanted to live is buried underneath everything you own. - Anonymous
Why not clear away the madness and see just how true this statement really is?
16. Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. - Confucious
Don't be the person that makes life complicated. Keep it simple. Even if you have to fight to do so.
17. Surround yourself with the things you love. Discard the rest. - Anonymous
And don't you dare feel guilty about it.
18. Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. – Lao Tzu
Contentment + Joy = Everything you've always wanted.
What principles will you live by for the remainder of 2018?